Saturday, July 12, 2008

OH...the agony!!

I bought a roadbike in April and have really been enjoying it until...the end of May. That's when my life got out of control. I hadn't rode for 7 or 8 weeks, and this morning I decided to go for a much needed ride. I decided to give Big Cottonwood Canyon a go. On the 4th of July my friend Audrey Bird showed up at the Brighton Breakfast on her bike and it made me want to do it. In April I went about 5 miles up the canyon before my fingers were numb and I had icicles on my nose, it was freeeeezing.
So today I went for it. I was doing really well but started to get tired right before the Silver Fork Lodge. I decided to try and make it to Solitude. I got off of my bike at Solitude for the first time since leaving home, and I really didn't know if I could get on it again.
By some complete miracle, I pushed myself past Solitude, up the hottest stretch of the ride, past Guardsman and up to Brighton. I know lots of people do this, no sweat, but there was definately sweat involved here. I was so pround of myself and looking forward to the ride down.
Well I must have bad form, or maybe just a bad back, because my lower back was killing me the whole way down.
I didn't really take in the scenery very much, but it was beautiful up there, and a great temperature. However, I don't think I have ever been in so much pain while doing something, or immediately after. Usually it seems like I wake up the next morning and just ache.
I am not looking forward to waking up tomorrow, that's for sure.

8 comments:

TODD + ANNIE said...

You go girl. I am totally impressed. I think the last time I rode a bike I was 12 and my destination was Kens Kash for some penny candy. I really need to move to Salt Lake and start to exercise with you.

sue said...

Way to go Whitney . . . you are the BEST!

Beckstrom Bunch said...

I'm like Annie...I don't think I could make it past the 7-11 before I'd pass out. You are awesome...and you can quote me on that if you'd like : )

WHIT said...

Ha ha ha ha...Thanks Meg :)

The Bells said...

Nice Pic, when are you going to come shoot guns with ME? I have only been begging HOW long now? Anyway, I think your pic rocks, and I am not even going to comment about your road biking cuz you know the worst part about road biking....

Camille said...

way to go whit! that is something i don't think i will ever do. hey, at least you can say you did it, who cares if it was painful and something you will never do again. you did it! and that is all that matters ;) love ya!

Beckstrom Bunch said...

I'm worried about your big picture on two levels...1) you're shooting a gun (hopefully at something, not someone) and, 2)are you really wearing that purple hat that used to be either mine or moms? I think the 80's called and want it back : )

Teddy, Scott, & baby Jane said...

And another thing we have in common, a bad back! When I bike too, my lower back really hurts a lot. Especially when doing long canyons like big Cottonwood. When I did my first 100 mile ride I was in SO much pain the next day and that night. I got my bike fitted to me and that helped a lot.