Sunday, July 25, 2010

the end

well folks! this is it...no more skiing for the 2009-2010 season (5 weeks overdue). what a great season it was! i haven't said one word about skiing on the blog, but don't worry i will make up for it now.

first i would like to say thanks to a few people who made it possible for me to even be on the mountain:

mom / dad / kevin (boss 1) / greg (boss 2) / dick bass / snowbird / red tram / blue tram / mother nature / UTA / lady from water district / cute guy at powderbirds / joe's ski shop, MT / lifthouse / backcountry / earl middleme...(whether i like it or not)

and now a thanks to a few ski buddies...

pro brady / cait / ashley / lindzi / sarah/ /terese / kenjiro / tele brian / crazy ray / sam fox / schmidt / query / piper / mom / dad / megan / todd / buddha / greg / bryant / pat / rick / daryn / norrona / anna / eon / caitlyn II / adam / steve / mark / mccall / jb / molly / aaron / hailey / holland / schweppe / chuck / kate III / jeff / matt / scott / herk / cody / peiter / lis / josh / shawn / alex / courtney / jason / mark / clay / blake / zach / thor / ben / russ / tyler / john / kyle / brett / spence / chris / carly / shogo / kylie / anyone else i forgot / the list was quite long

i hit a personal record ski days in a season this year. nothing like some other people, but pretty good for working 5 days a week. grand total...66 (but I think I forgot to record a few days, so I will round up to 70!)

as boring as this will be to probably 99% of the people who read this, i know there is 1 (maybe 2) of you that will like this. every day i went skiing i wrote a sentence about the day. if this bores you to death, skip down to where it gets interesting again (when the text stops and the photos start).

Nov 14-Midnight hike to Alta-Thanks for the ride snow making dude!

Nov 20-Snowbird opening day

Nov 27-Abandoned

Dec 12-First air of the season

Dec 16-Found a ski-Lost a ski

Dec 19-First run on S7. True love.

Dec 23-Powder panic for 3"-GAY!

Dec 25-New fam tradition. Head first down Silvy!

Dec 26-First hike to High Baldy

Dec 28-First day from top of Great Scott

Dec 31-Three POWDER runs

Jan 2-GREAT Scott-GREAT Scary

Jan 6-Hardest fall EVER! Right next to the slow sign. What?

Jan8-WAY FUN DAY! Lots of little cliffs w/ Cait/Brady. Landed ALL. GREAT

Jan 9-So Tired! A couple Wilbur Chutes-Last Tram-Tram Club

Jan 13-Me, Mom, Dad. Snow all blew to Alta. Silvy blown to buff.

Jan 15-Solo-Silvy, Forbidden, GS to Cool Whip to Tower 3

Jan 16-Park City with EVERYONE!

Jan 20-Mom and Dad

Jan 22-Powder run X3 on P-Dawg

Jan 23-Are you effing kidding me? Go home people!

Jan 26-Birthday ski for Brady with Sam Fox

Jan 27-All alone. Heavy snow from the weekend.

Jan 29-Tram closed. Skied alone.

Jan 30-Brady and Team Mgr/Tele Brian. Powder-Thunder Bowl X2

Feb 3-Skied with Sarah Mercedes. Very good lil' skier!

Feb 5-Blah

Feb 6-Skied along and hard. Sad day :( But fun skiing

Feb 10-Don't really remember, but I know I went!

Feb 12-Cait and Brady in the morn. 2 North Baldys. AWESOME

Feb 13-Not busy, powder, holladay. WEIRD. Little airs & over the handle bars.

Feb 15-Sansom Family ski day. Really fun and perfect day for shin bang!

Feb 17-Familiarize with West Baldy. Shin bang! Spin class this morn KMB!

Feb 19-Mom, Cait, and Dave-I ate it A TON. Very wet, very fun day!

Feb 20-Skied w/ the UFS Crew-Apres Hot Wings with Japanese friends.

Feb 24-Mom, Dad Bryant-Snow not so great-Ride w/ Ray on the bus home.

Feb 26-BRIAN HEAD-Beautiful fun day with Adam and Steve.

March 3-Legit dust on crust-Caught a ride home with Cort and Mark

March 5-Thank you to North Baldy for the deepest pow of my life. I love it!

March 6- Zoom@Noon but missed it for epic Silvy, NB and N. Chute.

March 10-Pretty good day

March 12-Living the dream. West Baldy inspection with Brady

March 13-CRAPY morn until snow. WB inspections w/ Cait...BUTTERFLIES...

March 16-Inspection day. Not-so-awesome

March 17-FREESKIING WORLD TOUR. Ate it 2X. Last place. Morale hurt.

March 20-Took 2 runs all day. Watched the Semi's of the FWT. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

March 24-Beautiful blue day. Skied the last run with Eon who is stoked on life.

March 26-Late season storm. Aweseome! (minus a few awkward moments)

March 27-Bell to bell. SO MANY TRAMS! Blue bird powder day!

March 31-72mph gusts. Blown smooth? Nope. Blown to nada!

April 2-Wait? April 2nd? Is that right? 12" overnight. Take my breath away!

April 3-Right place,right time. 3 mind blowing laps in MB. met up with Terese

April 9-No sign of the 4' from two days ago. Oh well! Happy to be there :)

April 10-Afternoon lap out past Thunder Bowl. No crowds. I'm happy!

April 15-HELI in AK! Take I!BLUE SKIES! SO AMAZING!

April 16-HELI in AK! Take II! RHINO is where it's AT!

April 18-HELI in AK! Take III! Eaglecrest. So windy (I <3).>

April 24-Spring day-Traverse beneath the luge & lame jibbing down the gully.

May 1-Awesome powder day on May 1. Skied a new spot from Alta into Snowbird.

May 5-Don't remember but pretty sure I went.

May 7-Three runs-Great Scott/Jaws

May 8-Jaws was great. Skied with Cait and her lil bro. Keys locked in the car-oops.

May 15-AK reunion with Kate and Parker. Deepest slush ever in MB.

June 5-Spring day before the floods-Jack and Brady

June 12-Last ski day=JUNE POW!!! Perfect way to end the season.

so there you have it. a little taste of the ski season. it was a great 8 months and no matter what the snow was like, i was always happy to be in the beautiful mountains that are only two bus stops away from my house with happy fun loving people who are just as excited to be there. in the end, it's always the memories i made with other people while skiing, crammed into the tram, hiking up baldy, or sitting on the plaza that make me want to go back for more.

read on for more details on two memories from this season.

ski ya later!

apres hot wings with kenjiro and his buddies from japan

pipers birthday bypass bbq

being cool on hidden peak

skiing with the besties for the first time in 6 years!

day 48-compliments of eon jarvis

*i need to let off some steam about how much it bugs me when the format gets all screwed up. IT REALLY BUGS ME! I WISH ALL THOSE DOUBLE SPACES WOULD JUST GO BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM!*

8 comments:

Paula said...

Whit, the ski trip to AK sounds like a blast! I'd love to see pics, so do try to post a link. And I actually did read your whole list of ski experiences, sounds amazing! That's fun that you took the time to write a little blip about each day. I love your writing style. I'm always intrigued when I come to your blog. I hope all is well, thanks for sharing!

Paula said...

Whit, loved the pics. That's crazy that you were literally off the airplane and onto the heli in minutes. I can't imagine doing all that--Erik was so jealous when I told him. He would LOVE to go heli snowboarding. Some of our friends are in the Alaska office selling this summer (we're in cleveland, OH btw) and I've loved seeing their pics too. I always thought it was a no-go for me cuz it's so freezing and I couldn't handle no sunlight for half the year. But It's gorgeous up there! I've been so jealous by their pictures and yours, I think I'm reconsidering!

The Bells said...

You totally know that I read every single last sentence. Thanks for posting for the detail-oriented. BTW, how have I never seen the pic "day 48"? You are amazing.

The Bells said...

p.s. the nature noise is kinda freaking me out.

Christian and Stephanie said...

ALASKA!!! Steph and I have been in Alaska all summer. I can't believe we missed you. It sounds like you had an unbelievable ski season... We're jealous:)

Beckstrom Bunch said...

Whit my thought is not super cool. I just wanted to say that I'm proud of your skiing abilities and that you have managed to make our parents proud of one of their daughter's died-hard ski tactics. And I want to see how many days you get in skiing when you have kids. And if you continue making yourself look so darn cool than I have no choice but to try and "sell" you more : )

If I were a llama said...

Whit nay nay, I have to say you are super rad! And i had fun skiing with you this past winter! Cant wait to show you my super duper skiing skills non pregnant this year! I will do the super squat butt stick out just for you! :)
YOUR THE BEST!

OZsupplier said...

Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

------------------------
fruit exports | legal services for exports